Following Bishop Alan M. Gates's May 2023 announcement of his plans to retire by the end of 2024, the process to elect his successor has been initiated by the diocesan Standing Committee.
All announcements issued to date are collected on this page, where more information and materials will be posted as they become available.
A Prayer for the Election of a Bishop from The Book of Common Prayer (p. 818)
Almighty God, giver of every good gift: Look graciously on your Church, and so guide the minds of those who shall choose a bishop for this diocese, that we may receive a faithful pastor, who will care for your people and equip us for our ministries; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
- Oct. 31, 2023: Standing Committee invites applications for Transition Committee by Nov. 15
- Oct. 25, 2023: Standing Committee announces Transition Committee co-chairs and Consecration Committee chair; Process to apply to serve on Transition Committee coming soon
- Oct. 17, 2023: Bishop Nominating Committee invites survey responses by Nov. 1
- Oct. 2, 2023: Listening session for LGBTQ+ laity rescheduled to Zoom on Oct. 11; Links for Zoom sessions posted. Find updated schedule here.
- Sept. 25, 2023: Sept. 25 listening session for LGBTQ+ laity to be rescheduled; additional listening sessions added to schedule. Find updated schedule here.
- Sept. 18, 2023: Listening sessions scheduled for diocesan bishop search
- Aug. 16, 2023: Standing Committee announces bishop search timeline and Nominating Committee members
- July 19, 2023: Standing Committee announces bishop search consultants and Nominating Committee co-chairs
- June 15, 2023: Standing Committee invites Bishop Search Committee applications by June 25
- May 17, 2023: Standing Committee issues letter to diocese following Bishop Gates's call for election of successor
- May 10, 2023: Bishop Gates calls for election of his successor